- 3 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teapsoon salt
- 1/3 cup neutral oil. I use refined coconut.
- 1 flax egg
- In a glass bowl, add yeast, water, and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Let sit for 10 minutes until the yeast becomes foamy.
- If using a stand mixer, add flour, salt, and remaining sugar to the mixer bowl. Once yeast is ready, mix in flax egg, and oil to the the yeast mixture. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
- Mix on medium speed for 5 minutes. If the mixture is too dry, you can add a tablespoon more of water. If it seems too wet add a tablespoon more flour. The dough should be soft but not sticking to the sides of the mixer.
- If mixing by hand, follow above instructions for combining ingredients. Once the dough is mixed, pour out on a clean counter top. and kneed by hand for 5 minutes.
- Once dough is ready, divide into 9 equal pieces. If you want smaller buns, divide into 12 equal pieces. Form a disk shape with each piece of dough, but do not flatten them out. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Allow buns to rest for 10 minutes while you pre heat the oven to 425 degrees. Once the oven is ready, place buns inside and bake for 10 - 15 minutes. If the buns are not browning evenly, you can rotate the baking sheet halfway through baking. You can also brush them with some vegan butter to help them brown.
- Once buns are finished baking, allow to cool before serving.
- You can freeze any left over buns in a freezer zip lock bag for up to a month
yields 9-12 buns