- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2/3 cups vegan butter
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 - 4 tablespoons ice water
- sprinkles for topping (optional)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup of plant based milk
- 3 oz vegan chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- a few drops of plant based milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare your filling adding half of the chopped chocolate, and the remaining ingredients to a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 5 minutes to allow sauce to thicken. Remove from heat, and stir in the remaining chopped chocolate. Set aside to cool.
- To make the dough, add flour, cocoa, butter, and salt to a food processor. Pulse until well combined.
- Add in the water one tablespoon at a time until a soft dough has formed. Pop dough in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
- Roll the dough out on a flour dusted, smooth surface to a 1/8 of an inch thick rectangle. You can trim up the edges with a sharp knife, and save the scrap dough.
- Once the dough is trimmed and even, cut 3 inch by 5 inch rectangles from the dough, give or take. Be sure when you are calculating how many you can cut, to have a even number. Each pop-tart needs 2 rectangles. Roll out any scrap dough and repeat the process.
- Scoop a teaspoon of chocolate filling onto a rectangle, and smear it around a bit in the middle, careful to not get too close to the edges.
- Top the chocolate filled piece of dough with another rectangle of dough. I use a spatula to lift the rectangle and place on top. Use a fork to press, and seal the edges.
- Place pop-tarts on a parchment lined baking sheet, or lightly spray one with cooking oil and bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
- While pop-tarts are baking, mix together the glaze. If it is too thin you can add a little more powdered sugar to thicken it back up. You want a spreadable consistency.
- Once pop-tarts have cooled a bit, spread the icing and serve. You can also top with sprinkles.
Yields 8-10 pop-tarts