- 1 block of organic extra firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch, organic corn starch, or arrow root powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Wrap tofu in a clean kitchen towel or some paper towels and place a few books, heavy plate, or cans on top for 5 - 15 minutes to remove excess moisture.
- Cut the tofu into one inch cubes.
- Mix the flour, starch, and salt in a bowl big enough to also hold the tofu.
- Add the tofu to the bowl and toss with your hands or a large spoon until all pieces are evenly coated.
- In a large skillet, heat a quarter inch of oil until sizzling.
- Add the tofu pieces, being careful they don’t touch, or the starch will cause the pieces to stick together.
- Fry on each side for several minutes or until all sides are nice and crispy.
- Place tofu on a cooling rack with some paper towels underneath for a few minutes before serving.
Cover in you favorite sauce and add it to stir fry.
Add some garlic powder, and paprika (or any other spice you may like) to the flour mix before coating and serve as "chicken" nuggets.
Cover in buffalo sauce for vegan wings.
Use to top salads or add to sandwiches and wraps.