- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup vegan butter
- a pinch of salt
- 3 - 4 tablespoons ice water
- 3 tablespoons Pumpkin Butter
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- a drizzle of maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Add both cups of flour, butter, and salt to a food processor and pulse until well combined.
- Add in the water, one tablespoon at a time until a soft dough has formed.
- Roll the dough out on a flour dusted, smooth surface to a 1/8 of an inch thick rectangle. You can trim up the edges with a sharp knife and save the scrap dough.
- Once the dough is trimmed and even, cut 3 inch by 5 inch rectangles from the dough, give or take. Be sure when you are calculating how many you can cut, to have a even number. Each pop tart needs 2 rectangles. Roll out any scrap dough and repeat the process.
- Scoop a teaspoon of pumpkin butter onto a rectangle, and smear it around a bit in the middle, carefully to not get too close to the edges.
- Top the pumpkin butter covered piece of dough with another rectangle of dough, and use a fork to press, and seal the edges. (for step by step pictures of the process, check out our Strawberry Pop-Tart recipe)
- Place pop tarts on a parchment lined baking sheet, or lightly spray one with cooking oil and bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
- While pop tarts are baking, mix together the powdered sugar with just a few drops of maple syrup, just enough to thin it out. Add the pumpkin pie spice and stir. If it is too thin, you can add a little more powdered sugar to thicken it back up. You want a spreadable consistency.
- Once pop tarts have cooled a bit, spread the icing and serve.
Yields 8 pop tarts.