Beyond meat brand burgers are truly amazing. They really are one of the closet to "meat" substitutes available in stores right now. What I love most about them, is that you can thaw the patties and use them in place of meat in a TON of recipes. Each patty is 1/4 pound so 4 will equal a pound of meat. They are not hard to find, a lot of stores carry them now.
- 4 thawed Beyond Beef burgers
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (a mix of thyme, sage, basil, marjoram, rosemary, and oregano) if you do not have Italian seasoning feel free to add a combo of any of the listed spices
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 flax egg
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 small 14.4 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 red wine (optional)
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Mix thawed burgers, panko bread crumbs, garlic, spices, and flax egg together in a bowl.
- Once well combined, form meatballs with a small scoop, or spoon, and place them on a baking pan. You can line the pan with parchment paper for easier clean up.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Sauté onions and carrots in 1 teaspoon of oil, and 1 teaspoon of salt, in a large pot for 5 minutes.
- Add the wine, and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and let the sauce simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the cooked meatballs, and let simmer in the sauce for 15 minutes.
- Use whatever bread you like to make the sandwiches. We typically buy a baguette, and cut it into sections. French bread is often plant based. Just be sure to read the label.
- Add the meatballs to the bread, and top with any kind of plant based cheese you like. We prefer Follow Your Heart brand because it tastes good, and also melts.
- Place sandwiches on a baking sheet in the oven on 350 until cheese melts.
- You can also add some vegan parmesan on top before serving.