If you have never had, or even heard of Alabama white sauce, let me introduce you! Alabama white sauce is a mayo based bbq sauce that originated in, you guessed it, Alabama! Its tangy and creamy and perfect slathered all over some grilled tofu skewers, grilled veggies, or honestly, just about anything! Whip up a batch and let me know all the ways you found to use this delicious and easy summer favorite!
Alabama white sauce
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 1/2 cup giardiniera, just the veggies not the juice (this is and Italian condiment consisting for a variety of pickled vegetables, found in the pickle section of your grocery store)
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Alabama white sauce
- Add all ingredents to a blender or food processor, and blend until it is smooth.
- Store in a mason jar in the fridge.
- Wrap 1 block of extra firm organic tofu with a clean kitchen towel or some paper towels, and place a few cook books on top. Let sit for 10 - 15 minutes to press out the extra liquid.
- Once tofu is ready, cut in half length-wise, then cut those halves in half length-wise again. Now cut 1 inch wide strips to form the pieces.
- Place tofu strips in a 9x13 baking dish and pour half the Alabama white sauce over the top.
- Let tofu marinate for at least an hour in the fridge.
- Once done marinating, put 2 pieces of tofu through a wooden or metal skewer.
- Heat your grill and spray the grates with some oil before adding the skewers. Once the skewers are on, give them as spray as well.
- Let each side of the skewers grill for several minutes before turning. I use a metal spatula to turn them to help avoid having them stick to the grill and rip. You may need to keep turning them until they have some nice grill marks on each side. Use the marinade left in your dish to brush on each side as you turn.
- Serve finished skewers with remaining Alabama white sauce for dipping or drizzling.