- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 8 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/3 cup sugar plus 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 cup plain vegan yogurt, I used Kite Hill plain almyogurt
- 1 flax egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon diary free milk
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a medium bowl, combine 1/3 cup of sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the butter, and using your hands, work in the butter until the mixture seem coarse and sort of crumbly.
- In a small bowl whisk the yogurt and flax egg.
- Add yogurt mixture to the dry mixture, and stir unitl combined. Knead until a smooth dough comes together. It will seem dry and crumbly at first, but it will come together as you keep kneading.
- Once it has come together, form a disk with the dough about 7-8 inches wide, and 3/4 of an inch thick. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of sugar on the dough, then cut the circle into 8 triangles.
- Place scones onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet, and bake for 15-20 minutes. You can brush them with a little plant based milk before popping them into the oven to help them brown. We used oat milk, as it browns nicely, but you can use what you have. They are done once they are light brown on top, and firm in the middle.
- Allow scones to cool. You can optionally top them with an icing drizzle once cooled. Just whisk the sugar and milk and drizzle over the tops of the scones.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
yields 8 scones