- 2 cans of jackfruit in brine
- 1 bottle of BBQ sauce
- 1/2 package broccoli slaw
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
Crook pot method
- Drain the jackfruit and separate pieces with your fingers to resemble shredded meat.
- Put the shredded jackfuit along with 1 bottle of BBQ sauce and 1/4 cup water into a crock pot, and cook on medium heat for 5 - 6 hours.
Stove top method
- Place the shredded jackfruit, BBQ sauce and water in a large pot or dutch oven and cook over medium/low heat, stirring occasionally for 1 hour, or longer if you have the time, on low heat.
To make the slaw, in a bowl, combine the slaw mix and remaining ingredients. Assemble sandwiches with the BBQ and slaw!
This recipes works great for parties. Just substitute hamburger buns with slider buns.
The longer jackfuit cooks in the BBQ sauce, the more flavorful it becomes. I have served it to plenty of meat eaters who were actually surprised it was not meat. I tend to prefer it in the crockpot because it really does become more flavorful cooking all day, but the stove top method works fine too as long as you have time to let it cook low and slow.