- 4 - 6 russet potatoes
- 2 cups The Best Vegan Chili
- 2 -3 teaspoons vegan butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- vegan cheddar queso
- optional toppings, vegan sour cream, diced onions, chives
Vegan Cheddar Queso:
- 1/2 cups cashews soaked overnight or covered in water and microwaved for 3 minutes, then drained
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons corn starch or tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon light miso paste
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 teaspoon smoke paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 small can of green chilis
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Wash potatoes. You will also need 4 - 6 pieces of aluminum foil large enough to wrap around each potato.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of butter to the middle of each piece of foil. Place potato on top of butter, and poke a sharp knife into each potato a few times. Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper, and tightly wrap foil around the potatoes.
- Place potatoes on a baking sheet, and bake for about 30-40 minutes, depending on size of potatoes. When you can easily poke a knife into the potatoes, they are done.
- While potatoes are baking, make the cheese sauce by adding all of the ingredients except the chilis to high speed blender or food processor, and blend until completely smooth.
- Transfer the cheese mixture to a medium pot, and heat on medium/ low heat, whisking continuously until the cheese begins to thicken to a queso constancy. This only takes a few minutes. If it gets too thick, you can add a little more water to thin it back out. Add the chilis and stir.
- Allow potatoes to cool a little before carefully unwrapping the foil (careful not to burn yourself.)
- Top the potatoes with 1/4- 1/2 cup vegan chili, some cheddar queso, and whatever toppings you like to serve.