This recipe is pretty easy and comes together really quickly. This soft mozzarella is perfect for a caprese salad or for topping a pizza!
- 1 cup cashews soaked over night or microwaved for 3 minutes in 1 and 1/2 cups water, then drained.
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut, without the juice
- 1/4 cup plant based milk
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons triple filtered coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons agar powder
- Add drained cashews, and all other ingredients EXCEPT the water and agar to a high speed blender or food processor.
- Blend on high until the mixture is completely smooth. You may need to scrape the sides down a few times to make sure all of the cashew bits get processed.
- Fill a large bowl halfway with water and a cup of ice. Stir in a few teaspoons of salt and place next to your stove top.
- In a medium sized pot, bring water and agar powder to a boil.
- Once it is boiling reduce heat to med/low
- Mix the cashew mixture with the water and agar, stirring continuously unit it becomes thick and stretchy. This will take just a couple of minutes, it comes together quickly. Just keep stirring and scraping the cheese from the sides of the pot. It will resemble a stretchy dough/ batter and scoop easily once it is ready.
- With medium size cookie scoop (or you can use a large spoon or ice cream scoop) scoop out balls of mozzarella and drop them into the bowl of ice water.
- Once all of the mozzarella balls are formed and in the water, place the bowl in the fridge for about an hour, or until the mozzarella has firmed up a bit.
- Once firm, remove mozzarella and place in zip lock bags or a shallow storage container adding just a little of the liquid brine for storage. You don’t need to fully cover them. Just add a little of the liquid so they do not dry out.
Store in fridge for up to 5 days