- 1 cup cashews soaked in hot water for one hour or microwaved for three minutes
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons of miso paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons of tapioca starch, corn starch, or arrow root powder
- 2 cups of water
- 1 small can of chili peppers
- A few shakes of your favorite hot sauce
- Add all ingredients, except the chilis and hot sauce, to a high speed blender or food processor.
- Process and blend on high until the mixture is completely smooth (no lumps at all).
- Transfer the mixture to a medium size pot and cook on medium heat, stirring with a whisk continually until the mixture thickens.
- Once the queso gets to a pudding like texture, remove it from the heat, and mix in the chilis and hot sauce.
- Store in the fridge for up to a week.
My favorite vegan cookbook is “Veganize It!” by Robin Robertson. I adapted her recipe for cashew “cheese” sauce and created this queso. If you omit the hot sauce and chiles, you will be left with a very versatile white “cheese” sauce.